Saturday 23 February 2013

Keen Observations

Because I'm not really in a teaching role in my work! I use this blog more as a sounding board for observations about the way that adults learn, and one thing that I find the most useful in learning to teach adults, is discovering how I learn. I am an adult after all, regardless of whether I feel like one all the time or not! I was reading an article for my PIDP3240 class today.

http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

The article had a section discussing significant trends in learning. The trends are listed below...

  •  Many learners will move into a variety of different, possibly unrelated fields over the course of their lifetime.
  •  Informal learning is a significant aspect of our learning experience. Formal education no longer comprises the majority of our learning. Learning now occurs in a variety of ways – through communities of practice, personal networks, and through completion of work-related tasks.
  • Learning is a continual process, lasting for a lifetime. Learning and work related activities are no longer separate. In many situations, they are the same.
  • Technology is altering (rewiring) our brains. The tools we use define and shape our thinking.
  • The organization and the individual are both learning organisms. Increased attention to knowledge management highlights the need for a theory that attempts to explain the link between individual and organizational learning.
  • Many of the processes previously handled by learning theories (especially in cognitive information processing) can now be off-loaded to, or supported by, technology.
  • Know-how and know-what is being supplemented with know-where (the understanding of where to find knowledge needed). 

What I have learned, is I AM A TRENDSETTER! Who knew? I took control of my education at a very early age. I am currently working in a field that has nothing to do with my education. Formal education was not my cup of tea, so I discovered ways around it. I like to learn, I imagine myself in some sort of "school" for the rest if my life. I've always been a firm believer in "know-where". A lot of adult learners would fit into a category or two on this list, and as the rest of the article goes on to state, that current learning theories are going to have to change to accommodate a learner that is more aware of their learning style, and what they want out of their education.

These PIDP courses teach me more and more about myself every time I complete an assignment!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your commentary very much! Especially the part about being a "trendsettter ...who knew?!" That made me smile as I realized I am part of that also. I also am not fully an educator (just casual in clinical instruction at local college), and yet I can relate to how as I study adult instruction, I am learning more about myself. I am reminded of the expression "if you are not green and growing, then you are ripe and rotting". I agree with your bullet point on "Learning is a continual process - lasting for a life time".

    ReplyDelete