Sunday 10 March 2013

Face to Face

Well I have been a small hiatus due to a few different reasons. Oddly enough, both to do with education of some form or another. Last weekend I was in Portland Oregon, did some sight seeing and a lot of dancing. I like to social dance, mostly Lindy Hop, which is a 1940's style swing dance. A group in Portland was putting on a 3 day event, so I went with a friend to chec it out.  See the video below for a quick clip of What Lindy Hop is all about...
Now, I am by no means nearly as good as the people in the clip, but it is something I strive for. Therefore, I take lessons. I have realized that learning onlind and with media alone is not always going to work. Learning this way is largely isolated. Somethings have to be learned face to face. Some things need a partner. Some skills need immediate feedback before bad habits are learned.

In the rest of this entry, I am going to list a few examples of things that cannot be taught using digital materials or media in anyway, because there is nothing worse than using a teaching method that is completely innapropriate to the material being taught. Don't get me wrong, I really like learning through media, and online, but I thought a cautionary post was in order.

  • Partner Dancing- this cannot be taught alone in isolation by videos , or online media. Sure the steps can be taught in a video, but a partner needs to be there too in order to learn the physical dynamics of the dance. technique is much easier taught in person as well. It is challenging to show all angles in a video for 2 partners at the same time. Solo dancing can be taught fairly effectively through media though, but it would need to be videos, books and drawings will never be adequate.
  • Public speaking- this has to be in a face to face situation, likely even a large  group of students. An essential part of public speaking s becoming comfortable with an audience. Individuals feel much safer online (even if on video) than they do in front of a group of real people.
  • Dental Hygiene- any process that requires fine motor-skills is better taught in person. Again immediate feed-back can eliminate bad habits, or acquiring incorrect muscle memory.
These are only a few examples that I came up with. I hope that readers might comment with some of their own examples.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Julia, I have a few more examples for you:

    1. touching a steak to see what the doneness is
    2. seasoning and tasting food
    3. smelling ingredients to tell how fresh they are
    4. whipping up a cake, and by feel, knowing when you have mixed it enough

    I can keep on going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia, thanks for the post and enjoyed the video - was exhausted after just watching it! :) Talk about high energy dancing (part gymnastics too)!. Re: some things have to be learned face-to-face, I agree we cannot use media to learn everything and I know that 3240 is showing how we can use them as tools; as an ADJUNCT to teaching/learning not an out-and-out replacement of good instruction. When I started dental hygiene 22 years ago, I thought "computers will never be a part of this job".... I was wrong, paperless patient files, digital xray, digital charting, etc have come in the last decade and there's still advancements coming beyond that! At least for now, my patients don't hook their mouths up to a machine and push the "deep clean" button....

    To give an example of where digital media can/cannot be applied: A hobby of mine is decorating: I love choosing paint colors, furniture design, room layouts and so on - some of this can be learned by media, but much of it is intuitive and experimental...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia. I was exhausted after watching this video, just sitting in my chair. Lindy Hopping should be an Olympic sport. Good on you for jumping in, so to speak.

    I'm dating myself, but I remember my parents, in our living room, showing how they used to dance as young people, and it looked at lot like this. I was about seven years old at the time, and I couldn't stop smiling, watching them. Lindy Hopping seems to be contagious, as you've discovered.

    I agree that not all learning can be delivered online. Bowen agrees too. He seems to say that the higher order thinking, and development of performance, should be reserved for face time. However, there are lot of other things that can be delivered online, in any discipline. The history of the dance, its cultural roots, the lingo that goes along with it, can all be delivered online. A video like this would also provide a useful heads-up to someone thinking of taking a Lindy Hop class. If I were to see this video before attending, I'd know I would need a few weeks to get fitter, or to at least remember to bring an inhalator along.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Julia , as other's have said, wow about that video ! With regards to tasting green coffee, one can NOT do this online (the actual tasting). They can learn about the fundamentals/protocols of setting up a tasting via online delivery.They will have to practice with a peer group so (as others have pointed out) so that any mistakes with the protocols are rectified. Thanks for posting !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the energy in that Lindy Hopping dance. They just threw the ladies left and right, up and down and they still managed to keep their balance. I wonder if the dancers could still walk straight after the video. Good on you for learning this dance, Julia. I think I'll stick to regular swing, chacha and tango.

    Another activity that I think may not be effective when done online is role-playing in pairs and in groups. I think the classroom dynamics created by face-to-face group role-plays may be difficult to create online.

    ReplyDelete